iPad App Final Term Project Plans

As I've mentioned in previous blogs, I'd like to compile a fully-functional Setonian Online App for use of our paper. Although I worked on this for my first two units, I'm planning to expand on the final project, because there's still plenty of work to be done.

So far, I've created a main page template that works for each of the major sections of the paper. There is also a "share this" at the bottom of every page--I might switch this so it's only posted on actual story pages rather than the main news pages.

My goals for this project:

• flesh out the rest of the basic links on the pages.
  • add a "view more" at the bottom of the page.
  • add a youtube video view--one for the main story as well?
  • add audio player--in case we want to put online exclusive full-length interviews.
  • landscape orientation changes to split screen mode--different interface
  • linking this style sheet to the existing setonian online? (final objective)

By this thursday, I'm pretty confident I'll be able to create at least the youtube-views. If I have extra time, maybe i'll also try to tackle the audio player as well.

By next tuesday, I'm hoping to have at least half of the coding completed for the landscape orientation.

What I'll need help with:
  • view more link
  • landscape orientation
  • linking stylesheet to setonian online

It's pretty unlikely that I'll have a polished product ready for the setonian online by the end of the semester, but it is my aspiration that I'll be able to at least show a working model...i hope.

Looks like a lot of work! I really like the audio and video additions.

I commend your high aspirations. The Setonain Online has needed a serious revamping for a long time and naturally you're the best person to tackle this with your passion for/knowledge of html and the Setonian.

Just don't get overwhelmed. That's a lot to do before next week. And with the endless html coding bugs, it may take a while for things like video to work properly.

I only worry about how it will work in the context of Movable Type and then the inevitable change to WordPress. I know this is just as an app or separate website at the moment, but we would like it to also be the main one, right?

Well, clearly I think this is awesome and I am so glad you feel confident enough to do it! Of course you should feel confident, because from what I've already seen, it looks like a great, well-working site! Keep it up, and I can't wait to see your finished product!

I agree with Aja! Good Luck...it's about time for a Setonian Online facelift and this will be great for the SHU community since we're trying to go fully digital.