Ghosts Among Us

""Rise! and walk with me!"... The grasp, though gentle as a woman's hand, was not to be resisted. He rose: but finidng that the Spirit made towards the window, clasped its robe in supplication. "I am mortal," Scrooge remonstrated, "and liable to fall." "Bear but a touch of my hand there," said the Spirit, laying it upon his heart, "and you shall be upheld in more than this!""

Dickens, A Christmas Carol, p. 56.

Ghost story, indeed! I never realized just how many complicated words were in this story. It's also a very beautiful story, and I'm beginning to make connections between each of the three ghosts and the three persons of the Holy Trinity. In the two blog entries following on a Christmas Carol, I will examine the remaining two spirits and compare them to each person of the Holy Trinity.

This spirit, though, reminds me of Jesus. How many times in the Bible, have we heard Jesus say "Rise, pick up your mat and go home. Your faith has saved you."? I believe that the fact that Scrooge is mortal and afraid is why it takes such a massive leap of faith to follow the Ghost of Christmas Past.

Also, is it possible that Fezziwig (page 64) is like God the Father? In general he is like a father figure that Scrooge basically never had. "He has the power to render us happy or unhappy; to make our service light or burdensome; a pleasure or a toil. Say that hsi power lies in words and looks; in things so slight and insignificant that it is impossible to add and count 'em up: what then? The happiness he gives, is quite as great as if it cost a fortune" (64). It can also be said that the Ghost of Christmas Past provides the same amount of happiness and comfort, just like Jesus did. It seems to me that Scrooge has fallen away from his faith a bit, and he's coming to the realization that there is comfort in a God-figure.

I didn't even think of this connection to the Holy Trinity. This ghost could also be Jesus in his appearance of light from his head. It reminded me of the crown of thorns Jesus was made to wear on the cross, but also of a halo.

I also wrote about the complicated words. I think there are phrases and words that were common for the Victorian era that we just don't use anymore.