A New Look Into Something Old

Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1905)

"'I shall take the heart,' returned the Tin Woodman; "for brains do not make one happy, and happiness is the best thing in the world." (Chapter 5)

I really liked this quote. It was nice to read The Wizard of Oz again. I remember watching the movie and being in the play in elementary school, but I have never looked into it in much depth. From the above quote, it is easy to see why The Wizard of Oz is still popular today: it is a timeless classic. It is full of characters at different levels of life who are all after the one thing they feel will complete them. Obviously, anyone can relate to this. Everyone, at one point in their lives, has searched for something or wanted it dearly. Also, the story is a great outlet for escape into a fantasy world with a little dog and a magical floating house.

When analyzing the quote I chose, I found it interesting that the Tin Woodman would say that brains are not sufficient for happiness. A brain is indeed what his traveling partner, the Scarecrow, was searching for to be complete. I wonder how the Scarecrow felt when this quote was uttered, considering his desperation for a brain. But all readers can agree that happiness is the best thing in the world, and happiness is almost always a bi-product of love, thus the need for a heart.