Adhere to the system; earn the wage of a slave.

"Similarly, at Wal-Mart, a coworker once advised me that, although I had a lot to learn, it was also important not to 'know too much,' or at least never to reveal one's full abilities to management, because 'the more they think you can do, the more they'll use you and abuse you.' My mentors in these matters were not lazy; they just understood that there are few or no rewards for heroic performance. The trick lies in figuring out how to budget your energy so there'll be some left over for the next day."
(Nickel & Dimed 195)

Well, for one, I detest Wal-Mart and all of its business practices. "Always Low Morals. Always."

But that's besides the point. I relate to this passage and have learned this knowledge myself. At my current job, I started out with the goal in mind to be the best worker possible; that was the way I raised. I also never had a real job before, so I wanted to impress my first employer. Everyone that I worked with tended to be either lazy or sloppy at their work, and I was like, "Sweet, I'm the number 1 employee by default." I learned why they were lazy and unmotivated: I started this job at the new minimum wage standard, $7.15, which was the same wage my coworker Jon was receiving after working there 2 years longer. I tried being a hero while working, and it wasn't commended, just expected. No rewards, no compliments (more negative remarks than anything, like "You need to pick up the pace"). Almost 8 months later, I have fallen into the same slow, casual pace as the rest of the crew, because I know I won't be getting anywhere. I'm even frequently late (which I will be after writing this), and I don't get reprimanded for it. I guess I can't complain too much!

I have to get to work in about -2 minutes.

Ally Hall said:

I agree with what you said. I know when I first started out working at Target, I thought I would be the best worker because I really wanted to do well, but I definitely noticed quickly how things went. Unless it's super busy, you take your time, but you make sure that when the store manager is around, you work hard. Hell, even the front-end managers take ten minutes to get to your lane to ring up an alcohol sale for those of us under 21. But after trying my hardest and watching other people get commended for doing a half-assed job of what I was doing and me getting chastised for not getting enough Target credit cards, I basically just do what it takes to get through the 10 1/2 hour shifts they like to throw at me.