Stop Talking and Tell Us Something

Stop Talking and Tell Us Something

"5.  Don't waste so much time with pretentious chit-chat between your anchors" (Byron, What You Can Do to Make TV News Better).

Out of all the advice given in this particular article, number five was the gem that made me think, "Thank-you, Byron" and say a fervent prayer that the wisdom would be heeded to whatever news god happened to be tuning in at the moment.  How many times do we have to watch anchors make painful conversation amongst themselves?  I personally don't care if the anchors are having fun at work or not, just as I suppose the anchors are unconcerned with whether or not I'm enjoying myself at my job.  In fact, such painful talk as "George, aren't you going to do anything about that rain?" followed by, "Why, yes I am, Sally.  I'm going to buy a new umbrella" (amused chuckles from both anchors) does nothing for my news enthusiasm.  It is conversations like the aforementioned that undoubtedly led Byron to state that anchors were actors more than journalists.  Of course, more often than not, "acting" is a generous term for what we see on the screen.  The most despicable part of all of this is that the little show of camaraderie between anchors takes up time for actual news.  If the newsrooms really want to "give the people what they want," then they need to have anchors talk to the viewers, not each other.   

April Minerd said:

You're absolutely right, Josie. Why would these ratings consultants who advise TV journalism think viewers are interested in listening to artificial chumminess, anyway? Perhaps, news writers were duped into this stereotypical type of broadcasting years ago, when everyone was doing it; but why is everyone still doing it, today? Who, I wonder, are they filling focus groups with to be receiving feedback that says, "Yes, we love hearing that Sally will be buying a new umbrella!"