The Only Titles I Can Think of are Tasteless, So...Obituaries it is.

This example obituary was fairly impressive compared to the obits that are normally printed in my town's local paper.  The amount of personal detail was impressive, though it made me wonder how much probing had to be done to obtain.  I'm sure much information on a person (if he/she was a veteran, where he/she worked) could be gained without too much prying, but the more personal information may take some questioning.  Perhaps it is out of respect for the grieving that obituaries are normally so formalized and rather dry?  Honestly, this is a guess on my part, feel free to correct me.  But I wonder if the quality of the obituary depends on more than who you are (were) and who you know (knew), but how forthcoming with information your family and friends are.  Maybe this is that shining example of humanity in reporters we've been searching for?

Derek Tickle said:

I like how you, also, noticed that the writer had to probe to get some information. In order for the writer to know the nickname for "Uncle Mary" they would have had to speak with a family member or someone that was very close to her. I, too, agree that many obituaries are very straight forward and dry. I know that any death is a terrible event, but lets try and make the person's death be a rememberance instead of a dry, sad, and formal article. It is time to celebrate the good in the person's life and what they accomplished throughout their long journey of life.

Cody Naylor said:

I know what you mean! The obituaries in my local paper are never very impressive either! That's why I'd hate to have to write one, being held responsible for writing a moving piece, probably the last thing that will ever be written, about someone who has just passed away...

Dianna Griffin said:

Josie, I absolutely love your "tastless" title. However, I believe that obituaries should be short and sweet. This one just seems to pry too much. I agree with you that it is probably out of respect for the family that obituaries are normally so "formalized." I do not think that I would want someone coming up to me after a loved one has died so that they can have an impressive obituary. I think that celebrating a person's life is very important, but it should be up to their loved ones to celebrate it. I think the paper should be to the point and informative rather than creative with someone's death.

Diana, I absolutely agree with you; it isn't the paper's job to celebrate the life of a person who's died. That's up to the friends and family. And having a reporter creeping around your grief-stricken house for information on someone who's passed? I think it's just better to stick to formalized obits.