Duly Noted

"There are many ways of taking notes, but the consensus is that the best method is to use note cards" (264).

I can vouch for this, actually.  It all goes back to the idea that the ease of writing is proportional to the effort in preparation.  My sophomore English teacher had us write out note cards this way for a research paper, and everyone was deeply annoyed.  It's time-consuming, and for most research papers, students just want to start writing and be done.  However, once I had the notecards complied, writing my paper took half the time I thought it would.  Yes, I probably added an hour or so to my time by taking in-depth notes, but the ease with which I could call upon my research was worth any added time.

In short, I would definitely recommend this technique, especially for the 10-page paper that is due soon. 

In her blog, Aja offers an alternative, but just as effective, method to the notecard technique.

Kayla Lesko said:

I also used note cards in high school. Personally, I'm not a big fan of doing it because I don't want to sit there and sort through them. I prefer writing stuff on a piece of paper so that instead of having numerous bits of paper, I may only have one or two.

Carissa Altizer said:

My freshman English teacher made us do 200 notecards for a research paper over Christmas break. At the end of the project, there were so many notecards that it wasn't useful at all. I think it's a great idea to use notecards, just not in excess. Sometimes it's easier to just print out info and use a highlighter and a numbering system to keep info organized (if it's not a lib book). I would like to try the notecard technique again w/out the 200 card requirement. I think it might go much smoother that way...

Kayla, to help with the not-wanting-to-sort-through-them problem (which would be a pain), I generally wrote a topic on the back and had them sorted that way. It saved time and was very convenient when I had to return to something.
Carissa...200 note cards! I'm surprised you could even read this chapter without twitching. haha. I'm sure for much longer papers, that would be about right, but I'm imagining you weren't writing a paper for your freshman English class that required that many note cards. You're right; I'm sure this is a much more helpful technique when there's not a required amount of note cards.

I wrote about note cards in my blog. It does seem helpful and I certainly remember things better once I write them down myself, but it just seems to disorganized, especially keeping track of 200 cards. Wow. Where's the Ctrl F when you need it?

I've actually never tried this method. I'm going to start really writing my draft (due Monday) tomorrow, so I just might try this out.

Carissa - WOW. I could not write 200 notecards without going absolutely insane.