Let's do the Time Warp again

"Who are you?"

"Ask me who I was." (Dickens 20)

I enjoyed this exchange, and found Marley's retort to Scrooge to be fitting.  I can stand in front of a group and tell them about the person I am, and they may or may not find what I have to say worth their time.  However, the chances of them caring increase if I can tell them a little about the person I was before this point in time. 

Really, the destination means very little without mention of the journey.

Marley wasn't so lucky as to be able to show off his destination and journey.  Instead of a congenial, "So, who are you, buddy?"  from Scrooge, Marley got a stricken, doubtful, "Who are you??"  And instead of being able to reassure Scrooge with, "OK, this looks bad, but think about where I was before," Marley had to say, "If you think this seems horrible, just consider what I did with my life pre-chains."

-A more pessimistic sidenote: At this point wasn't Scrooge's journey about over?  I have to agree with Karyssa on this point, the guy seems pretty old.  Maybe that's because of all the movie adaptations, but he's going to redeem himself of a lifetime of miserly actions with a few years penance? Ah, well, people get attached to their Christmas tales, so I'll let it ibe.

You should check out the blog Gladys wrote about the economy and society. It made me realize that Dickens might not have been emphasizing the qualities of the individual, like selflessness, but the need for help to the poor. Maybe I've been brainwashed by movie adaptations, and kids' cartoons, in which TPTB try to show the benefits of morality. I now think Dickens didn't really care about that stuff; he just wanted people to see that the upper class needs to help the poor.

Jessica Orlowski said:

While he was making a statement about the chasms between classes, what about moral implications? Or do they go hand in hand? Can you really separate morality from helping the poor, or is helping the poor just a feel-good drug? I think Scrooge didn't really change at the end (This sounds familiar... *cough* The Necklace *cough*).

Jess and Karyssa- Good points. I definitely agree that it's tough to distinguish helping the poor and the moral implications of helping the poor. Though, some days I think more along the lines of who cares as far as the moral state of a person helping the poor goes. Isn't the poor person fed either way, whether the helper is naughty or nice? The more idealistic part of me (ah the many facets to my personality) argues that our moral state is everything.
Oh, I completely agree that this book is not just about one man's night with a group of ghosts. It's definitely representint something more, and I'm leaning towards class distinctions. While I still have my doubts towards the total redemption of Scrooge at the end, I also don't believe anyone is ever totally redeemed anyway.

Kayla Lesko said:

OH NO, NOW I HAVE THAT SONG STUCK IN MY HEAD!

Anyhoo, even with the movie adaptions, I never really pictured Scrooge being that old. I mean, I thought he was older, just not so old that he could kick the bucket at any second.