Portfolio 4

Timeliness and Coverage: These are all the blogs I've posted for this section of class.  All of my entries were posted on time.

Asking the Obvious

-We know in John Henry Days that the price of progress is blood.  In this blog I question why that is, because it seems to be a constant theme in literature.

More from the Moors

-The comedy "The Bear" has a good deal in common with "Wuthering Heights" which is most definitely not a comedic work.  How do these pieces relate?

Reading for the "Right" Reasons

-Why should we read?  Is it just to decode the meaning of a text?  Roberts doesn't think so, and I stress this point.

Hoorah for Short Hair?

- "Prophyria's Lover" surprised me, despite the fact I've read Browning's work before.  In this blog I share my initial reactions to the text with the class.  Also, Roberts stressed foreshadowing with his readers, using this poem as an example. I point out how subtle this foreshadowing was for me, as I was shocked at the poem's climax.

So What?

-Whether we like it or not, there are some technical things to learn about poetry.  A chapter in Roberts dicusses scansion, and I talk about how to correctly incorporate such observations into a paper.

"Quit your books..." Wait, where are you going?!?

-Why no one wants to be an English major anymore.  OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration.  But the popularity of the English major is declining, and I comment on an article that takes a look at why. 

Movie Adaptations and Benevolent Narrators: God Bless Them, Every One

-Here I talk about why I love the benevolent narrator in A Christmas Carol, and ask my classmates what movie adaptations of the story have fallen short of their expectations. 

Let's do the Time Warp again

-The past obviously plays a big role in A Christmas Carol, here I talk about why that is. 

Staking out the Allegories

-Not only do I get to discuss the problems with interpretations of allegories, but I also get to talk about Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  Really.

I think the subtext is rapidly becoming...text.

-Here's a blog about historical context, and how the inferences made by the time period an author writes in can sometimes control interpretation.

Depth:  These are some entries I put some extra effort into.

Asking the Obvious

-In this blog I demonstrate my ability to question conventions.  Why is the price of progress life?  Since this is a driving theme of John Henry Days, I decide to take a look at it. 

Reading for the "Right" Reasons

-I don't just disparage interpreting literature; I think that's valuable, and I say so in this blog.  I do, however, encourage everyone to return to the basics every once in a while, and remember why they love to read in the first place.

Hoorah for Short Hair?

-Even though Roberts praises the foreshadowing in "Poryphria's Lover", I admit to missing it completely. By the end of my blog, I praise the foreshadowing as subtle, and opine that it was this subtelty that made the poem work. 

-It would've been easy to just write a blog complaining about people turning away from English.  Instead, I pick some of the reasons the article states, and expand on them, trying to root out myths concerning this topic along the way. 

Staking out the Allegories

-Here I cite a common problem people have with allegories (what if that's not what the author had in mind at all?), and say that that's not as important as some seem to think.  I also relate allegories to an outside source; a favorite television show of mine. 

-Maybe I'm not a fan of biographical analysis, but there are times when the author's life has to be considered to interpret the text.  I relate historical context to a class discussion about A Christmas Carol.

Interaction:

Whitehead's Writing is a River - Karyssa Blair

-Here I comment on Whitehead's writing style, and then return to the conversation to answer a question about freelance writing and some confusion at the begining of the book.

The Hitler in Every Generation - Jessica Orlowski

-We know John Henry was a sacrifice to the age of machines...but for what was J. a sacrifice?  My classmates and I discuss this question, along with some implications of a mini-story in the novel.

Poor Toby - Brook Kuehn

-A discussion about Brooke's blog becomes a discussion on equality.  I add my opinion that "The Bear" represents role reversal for the genders.

Get over it - Jessie Krehlik

-Jessie and some of my classmates comment that Mrs. Popov's behavior at the begining of the play is pathetic at best.  I agree that her actions are a little sad, but give some possible motivations for them.

The Ultimate Horror (Love) Story - Jessica Orlowski

-Some of my classmates assume the woman in "Poryphia's Lover" was ill because of the speaker's comment on her pale complexion.  I opine that "pale" was just a way of saying she was beautiful at that time, and give examples of many different ways to interpret the work.

Selfishness Prevails - Karyssa Blair

-I share Karyssa's rather jaded view on Scrooge at the end of A Christmas Carol, and give my reasons for agreeing.

How Much Food Does One Ghost Need? - Karyssa Blair

-When Karyssa questions the gluttoness nature of the ghost of Christmas past, I give my opinion that all of the food surrounding the ghost is meant to symbolize the abundance of the season, as opposed to any selfish motive.

Think Again, Scrooge - Melissa Schwenk

-After reading Melissa's blog, I comment on why Scrooge is different than the grinch we sometimes picture him as being.

Xenoblogging:

Think Again, Scrooge- Melissa Schwenk

-I'm the first to comment on this blog, and I demonstrate an ability to combine Melissa's ideas and Dickens' ideas with my own thoughts.

-I am the first to comment on this blog, and I then return to answer a question asked by a classmate.

Poor Toby - Brooke Kuehn

-This comment illustrates my ability to give more than "Yeah, that's what I think, too" or "Good blog."  Here I add a different dimension to the conversation by explaining how the gender roles were reversed in "The Bear" and I support my claims with examples from the text.

"Quit your books..." Wait, where are you going?!?  -Josie Rush

-Here I link to Aja's blog, since she touched upon a point I wanted to make, but not focus on in my own blog.  Aja mentions why many people are English majors.

Let's do the Time Warp again - Josie Rush

-I link to Karyssa's blog, because she makes a point I can't ignore, but can't expand on without writing a novel.

Staking out the Allegories - Josie Rush

-Here I link to Karyssa again, because she's the one who gave me the idea for my blog entry. 

Discussion:

More from the Moors

-Since I draw from an outside source on this blog, comments come about both texts I discuss.  We also discuss the length of the play and how that affects the decisions of the characters.

Reading for the "Right" Reasons

-This is something most English majors feel passionate about: The reasons we read.  A discussion about books we've liked, hated, and were indifferent to ensued.

Hoorah for Short Hair?

-Just because I missed the foreshadowing of this poem, doesn't mean everyone did.  My classmates respond to my blog with when they first sensed something wasn't right with the speaker, and the clues that helped them hone in.

-Karyssa and I discuss what our storytelling techniques have in common with the benevolent narrator, and Aja and I talk about why we enjoyed the narrator's opening musings.

Wildcard:

Staking out the Allegories

-This was one of my last entries for the semester, so it hasn't gotten a lot of comments as of now.  However, it shows my ability to have fun with a subject by connecting it to something I like, and it also shows how I can knowledgably discuss literary terms.