Using your Imagination

"In a narrow sense, imagery means a visual description of an object or a scene--an image or picture of it" (Hamilton 83).

I believe imagery is one of the most important concepts when reading a text. I mentioned in an earlier blog how Flannery O'connor used good imagery. The quote I refered to was, "They looked like the skeleton of an old boat with two pointed ends, sailing slowly on the edge of a highway..." (O'Connor 31). This was good imagery becasue I was able to imagine the scene and how the characters were standing from tallest to shortest back to tallest. The text continues throughout the rest of the paragraph to give descriptive pictures that one can imagine in thier head. Also, MWW used good imagery because we had to associate our won images to the text. This is why I feel that throughout the upcoming week everyone in class will have a wonderful experience when they attend the play hosted by SHU because we get to compare our images when reading to the actual acted out play.

I agree with you, Juliana, imagery is extremely important. I think it would be hard to find any literary piece of merit that does not include imagery. It gets our minds going and our imaginations running, two very important things when we are reading. And I like your connection to the upcoming play. Seeing someone else’s visual idea of how a story or play went is almost like reading someone else’s blog, and hearing their interpretation of the text. It gives us a whole new level of understanding—helping us to pick up things we missed, or see things in new ways.

Kaitlin Monier said:

Books and stories which incorporate a lot of imagery are the best. They are so easy to get into and I always want to read them over and over.

These are great observations Juliana! You got me to think about the imagery used in the different pieces we have read, specifically in Flannery O’Connor’s stories. In “The River,” she describes Jesus. She described him as “a man wearing a white sheet,” and then continued to say, “He had long hair and a gold circle around his head and he was sawing on a board while some children stood watching him” (28). The way in which she does this is very effective. She does it in such a way that the reader knows exactly who is in the picture but it becomes apparent that the boy does not.
In “The Life You Save May Be Your Own,” O’Connor uses imagery to reaffirm her theme of birds in the story. Mr. Shiftlet, the free bird, actually looks like a bird himself. He looks a little like a crow or raven. O’Connor describes him as having “long black slick hair” which seems like feathers. His face looks like this: “His face descended in forehead for more than half its length and ended suddenly with his features just balanced over a jutting steel-trap jaw.” Can you picture that?

Want some more? Click the hyperlink to enter the strange land of Angela http://blogs.setonhill.edu/AngelaPalumbo/2008/02/freddy_kreuger_meets_my_little.html