Less dry.

I liked this article much better than the first one we read. One reason is because I found it less dry and I think I also enjoyed it more because I like the book Invisible Man a whole lot better than Grapes of Wrath so I remembered the parts in the book he was referencing more vividly. Another reason I like this article more was because I found it related to the book a lot more than the last one. The one on Grapes of Wrath seemed to be more about nature than actually relating anything to the book.

"In the end, the speech is fabulously successful; after finding his point of
"contact" within an otherwise inscrutable mass of listeners, the protagonist
delivers a virtuoso spoken performance drawing its strength from the audience's
enthusiastic participation. The format of his speech is, in a way, generic:"I
had to fall back upon tradition and since it was a political meeting," the
narrator explains, "I selected one of the political techniques that I'd heard so
often at home" (Ellison 1981, 342). But more than strictly "political," his
chosen technique is also spiritual and musical, drawing upon a tradition of
call-and-response oration that also informs the improvisational styles of jazz
composition.' (76).

I really liked the connection to jazz music. I did notice sort of a musical style to his speeches but never really thought to relate it to jazz.

Overall, I enjoyed this article, but I have to agree with Aja's blog, I also got the names mixed up a couple times. How did you enjoy this article compared to the other?

Jennifer Prex said:

I agree with you that this article was more interesting. I'll admit I never even thought to link his speeches to music at all, let alone to jazz, until I read that. It is an interesting way to look at it.

I guess it was less dry. Mostly, I found it was more concise and I knew what it was talking about/the point Hanlon was trying to make. (Nice reference to my blog. Yay!)

About the actual book, what is the political technique that the narrator was talking about there? Is it making a joke at your own expense to loosen up the crowd?

Marie vanMaanen said:

I also agree that this article was less dry and seemed to relate more to the actual book rather than an outside topic like nature. I also really liked the link between the speeches and jazz music. It seemed like maybe there was something odd when I was reading, but I didn't really understand it until after reading this article.

Chelsie Bitner said:

The article was a lot better to understand and relate to. I knew what was b eing talked about in this one more than I did the other one.
I got the jazz with the music. But I don't know much about the connections between jazz and his words.

Rebecca Marrie said:

I too agree that this article was significantly better than the last one. The author did not go in multiple directions throughout the paper, but rather stayed on topic.

Jessica Bitar said:

I also liked this article much better than the other one. It was easier to read because I felt it related more to the novel. I never really connected the novel to jazz music until reading the article. It helped me see the novel in a different way.