Portfolio 004

Yay! You can't really tell, but I'm throwing virtual confetti at everyone right now. One semester of blogging down!

It really has been a rewarding experience, kind of like winning a marathon.  I'd be a bit more enthusiastic but I lost my entire portfolio again.  I tried to save it as a draft and failed, so I'm typing all of this for the second time. All I had left to do was Xenoblogging.

Coverage: As always, I blogged for every assigned reading.

Jumping on the Bandwagon
- In this blog, I hypothesize about J.'s name and the significance of never learning it in the book John Henry Days, by Colson Whitehead.

X Marks the Spot... Sometimes - In chapter 7 Edgar V. Roberts' book, Writing About Literature, he writes about analysis of different genres of literature and remarks on the fact that most people feel the need to go "message hunting." I provide my own opinion on the matter.

How is shooting a chicken different from shooting anything else? - This blog reflects on common literary conventions used in Anton Chekhov's play, "The Bear."

You Drive Me Crazy! - For my presentation on Robert Browning's poem, "Porphyria's Lover," I acquired an article, analyzed it, and then did a close reading of the poem itself.  This is the outline of my presentation with a commentary on how I compiled everything.

Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing - Instead of assuming Porphyria is the one diseased in the poem, "Porphyria's Lover," I postulate that it's actually the speaker who is physically suffering and Porphyria is affected only through his actions.

My Qualms With Poetry Argon - In this blog, I relate poetry to science and reflect on how both are artistic in different ways.  And I have a punny title. Geeky awesome :)

Harumph! - This blog reflects on the criticism English majors get for choosing that major.  I then reflect on my own experience in choosing what to do in college.

How Much Food Does One Ghost Need? - Here, I suggest that Dickens is endorsing materialism as long as that materialism is spread to the less fortunate in A Christmas Carol.

Selfishness Prevails - In this entry, I suggest the idea that Scrooge never really changes or becomes a better person in A Christmas Carol.

"Allegory" Is a Pretty Word - After reading chapter 10 of Writing About Literature, I apply what I learned to A Christmas Carol.

Awakened by Chapter 16 - Chapter 16 of Writing About Literature is about considering historical and cultural context when analyzing a work.  I relate this to Kate Chopin's The Awakening.

Depth: I always try to be as in-depth as possible with every blog because depth lets me gain more from the experience.  The following entries, however, show more depth than usual.

Jumping on the Bandwagon - This blog shows more depth than others because I examine several quotes from John Henry Days and posit several idea to try to reach a conclusion.

You Drive Me Crazy! - This entry shows depth because it was my outline of my presentation.  I spent a lot of time analyzing "Porphyria's Lover," as is clear in this blog.

Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing - I believe this entry shows depth because I arrived at a unique conclusion about Porphyria's name in "Porphyria's Lover."

How Much Food Does One Ghost Need? - This entry examines Dickens' description of the Ghost of Christmas Present and questions the message most people get when reading A Christmas Carol.  I challenge that view, which is why this entry shows deeper thinking.

"Allegory" Is a Pretty Word - I believe this blog shows a deeper understanding of what I learned because I look back at A Christmas Carol after learning about allegory and then apply my findings to it.

Awakened By Chapter 16 - This entry shows deeper analysis than usual because I apply what I've learned to The Awakening instead of just a book we've read this semester.

Interaction: I was sure to comment on at least two to four of my peers' entries for each assigned reading, thereby inciting/contributing to some out-of-class interaction. The blogs below show this interaction best.

Josie Rush, Reading for the "Right" Reasons - Josie discusses what the right reasons are for reading and whether a reader should go digging for ideas.  Brooke Kuehn, Melissa Schwenk, Kayla Lesko, Jessie Krehlik, and I all give our opinions.  I relate mine to what everyone else says.

Jessica Orlowski, Can You Use That in a Sentence? - Jess considers Roberts' notion that ideas must be formed into assertions, and she compares that to writing a thesis.   Brooke Kuehn, Jess Orlowski, Kayla Le, and I discuss the ways in which we develop our own theses.

Jessie Krehlik, I love you so much I just had to kill you. - Jessie questions the speaker's reasons for killing his love in "Porphyria's Lover." Jess Orlowski, Aja Hannah, and I all speculate on who is ill and what each character represents.

Jessica Orlowski, Where I've Been - Jess comments on William M. Chace's article, "The American Scholar." Melissa Schwenk, Jess, and I discuss the shift of majors away from English and then discuss technology's role in everything.

Gladys Mares, The Ghost of Economic Hardship - Gladys Mares, Jessica Orlowski, Carissa Altizer, and I discuss the socioeconomic theme in Dickens' "A Christmas Carol."

Discussion: While there was discussion on my other blogs, the following entries garnered the most discussion.

How is shooting a chicken different from shooting anything else? - This blog sparked a lot of discussion because I remarked on the common romantic comedy convention of the two people in a couple hating each other at the beginning of their relationship and falling in love in the end.  Aja Hannah, Kayla Lesko, and Dianna Griffin had something to say about it.

How Much Food Does One Ghost Need? - I believe this blog incited a lot of discussion because I made a claim opposing the normal interpretation of the spirits in "A Christmas Carol." Josie Rush, Melissa Schwenk, and Carissa Altizer analyze the text with me in the comments.

Selfishness Prevails - As I said in the previous blog, I opined an unusual theory about Scrooge's motives in choosing to be a better person.  Josie Rush, Dr. Jerz, Gladys Mares, and Brooke Kuehn all provided their input.

Timeliness: Most of my blogs were posted at least 24 hours ahead of class, as is evident below.

X Marks the Spot... Sometimes - Posted .  Needed for class on Wednesday, November 18.

How is shooting a chicken different from shooting anything else? - Posted .  Needed for class on Wednesday, November 18.

Harumph! - Posted .  Needed for class on Monday, November 23.

How Much Food Does One Ghost Need? - Posted on .  Needed for class on Monday, November 30.

Selfishness Prevails - Posted .  Needed for class on Wednesday, December 2.

"Allegory" Is a Pretty Word - Posted

Awakened By Chapter 16 - Posted .

Xenoblogging: The following entries were written by my peers.  I commented on them in order to add to out-of-class interaction, as was previously mentioned.

The Comment Primo - I was the first person to comment on the following blogs:

Jessica Orlowski, What's In a Name?

Gladys Mares, Oats...Out, Moving on...In

Aja Hannah, Lucky 13

Kayla Lesko, Are There Any English Majors Out There?

Gladys Mares, The Ghost of Economic Hardships

Josie Rush, Let's Do the Time Warp Again

Josie Rush, Movie Adaptations and Benevolent Narrators: God Bless Them, Every One

The Comment Grande - I left long, insightful comments on the following blogs:

Josie Rush, Reading for the "Right" Reasons

Jessica Orlowski, Where I've Been

The Comment Informative - The following blogs were ones in which I left a comment showing my knowledge of a specific subject:

Jessie Krehlik, I love you so much I just had to kill you.

Jessica Orlowski, Where I've Been

The Link Gracious
-  In my comments on these blogs, and in some of my own blog entries, I link to the blogs of other students.

Carissa Altizer, J.

Josie Rush, Let's do the Time Warp again

Karyssa Blair, Selfishness Prevails

Wildcard: This blog entry best represents me as a blogger.

Selfishness Prevails