I Rarely Use Colons and Semicolons

"Naturally, therefore, this is where the colon and semicolon waltz in together, to a big cheer from writers in the audience." (Truss 105)

I rarely every use a colon and I never use a semicolon. I never use them because I didn't know how to use them. Only once did I have a semicolon explained to me. After reading this section, I am going to try to use these punctuation marks more often. I still wish there was a clear cut, right and wrong way to use the semocolon and the colon. I don't like adding them as I see fit because someone else, as I explained with the English teachers in my last blog, will have a different opinion of where they should be placed.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: I Rarely Use Colons and Semicolons.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tbasiut8dsfh.cgi/13474

Kaitlin Monier said:

I understand what you mean, I was only briefly taught about colons and semicolons. They seem confusing and sometimes are, but are fun to use. This book is good for explaining punctuation rules that the readers may not have known previously.

Stephanie Wytovich said:

I can completely relate to where you are coming from. Very rarely do I use the colon or the semicolon, simply because I don’t ever remember having the rules ground into my head as to how they were properly used. Sometimes I’ll throw one in when I find it necessary or when I know for sure that I’m using it correctly, but other than that, I just try to avoid them.
I agree with you in the sense that after reading most of the book, I really would like to try to use punctuation more often. I think that it really does enhance your writing and the meaning behind it. I’m still not a stickler for it, but I do, and always have understood its importance. I just think that in order to get over my hatred of it, that I just need to understand it better.

Stephanie Wytovich said: