Imagine 60 Little Exclamation Points!!!!!!!

"...the exclamation mark is the big attention-deficit brother who gets over-excited and breaks things and laughs too loudly." (Truss 138)

I thought this description of the exclamation mark was hilarious. I instantly thought of the sixty preschool kids I work with at the child development center. Each of them are an exclamation mark, constantly exploding with strong emotions. I also laughed when I read Juliana's blog because she compared herself to an exclamation point. I think this description made everyone think of someone they see as a living example of an explanation mark.

Although the rules for using an exclamation mark are very simple, I remember revising several papers in high school where other students had gone over board with these points. Sometimes every other sentence would end with an exclamation point. I think these students were writing as if they were reading their work out load instead of punctuating according to what was nescessary for readers. It actually made their work hard to read because usually I had to go back over a paragraph and try to figure out what the correct meaning and feeling the writer was trying to get across. These experiences always remind me to not let my sentences get emotionally out of control! All the time! Because it gets annoying! And seems like you're yelling in your writing! Ahhh!

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Imagine 60 Little Exclamation Points!!!!!!!.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tbasiut8dsfh.cgi/13486

Hahaha. :) Your entry was so funny! I knew girls in middle school and high school who, when they would write notes, send an IM, or even write on the board at school, they would end every sentence with an exclamation point.
One time the teacher even asked (after seeing one girl write something on the board that ended in an exclamation point) why she felt that sentence needed to be shouted. Sometimes the way people use punctuation can tell you a lot about their personality. This girl was not an angry person; she was just always overly excited about everything.
Good job, Katie!!!
(Like my exclamation points? Haha.)

Good job, Katie!!!
(Like my exclamation points? Haha.)