Meters, Stressed Syllables, Etc.

"Meter is the recurring pattern of sounds that give poems wirtten in verse their distinctive rhythms." (Hamilton 198)

As Dr. Jerz can probably tell, I'm horrible when it comes to meter, stressed and unstressed syllables, and of course sonnets. I just never can seem to stress the right syllables or have the correct rhyme scheme. And, usually when I try to replace fillers, I end up just replacing them with more fillers. However, after reading these few sections in Hamilton, I have a little bit of a better understanding. I was happy to find all the sections on meter, scanning a meter, and rhyme. I just felt like I had really been struggling with this and needed a reference to have so I could practice and become more familiar with what I need to do. I still have two sonnets I need to catch up on, but I think I can finally tackle them after reading this section without feeling that they are going to turn out as total disasters.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Meters, Stressed Syllables, Etc..

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tbasiut8dsfh.cgi/13616

I'm glad to know this reading helped you out.

Jessie Farine said:

Good luck on those sonnets. Poetry is so tough to pull off well - you have to keep meter in mind while trying to pack as much meaning as possible into each line. You also have to pay attention to rhymes and how certain words sound and all that jazz. It's tricky.

Stephanie Wytovich said:

Katie, I'm def. in the same position as you. I love reading poetry, but when it comes to writing it following a certain structure...I'm done. Especially sonnets. These few chapters really helped me out too, and I noticed that if you slowly read the sentence out loud, that sometimes it helps you find your rhythm.

Katie Vann said:

When we go over examples in class, I usually have the opposite syllables stressed than what ends up on the board. Even when I say stuff out loud I stress the wrong words. But I will try saying it slower Stef, hopefully that will work.