Ending Statements

For my comparison, I chose to compare the Kashmir bus plunge and the Nepal story. One major point for each of them that stood out for me was the ending or concluding line for each.

Nepal's ended as such: "Most accidnets in the impoverished Himalayan country are balmed on shoddy vehicles, reckless driving and bad roads". As we learned the past few classes from our AP style tips, this sentence is a good example of how a newspaper article doesn't really have a conclusion, but rather a concluding line that adds some left over information. This line, although still pertaining to road accidents, is just a little bit of extra background info that wasn't really necessary to tell theh story of what happened, but it helped to cut the article off.

The Kashmir's ending line, I thought, was a little more random: "As the injured were being taken away, relatives and residents threw stones at officals, complaining of poor local medical facilities, AP reported". I didn't feel this line really belonged in this article because it kind of opens up a completely different topc and problem rather cutting off the one it was originally talking about. If the relatives had been throwing stones because they were angery at the officers for doing a poor job with the rescue operation, then that would have been more appropriate. However, because their actions were due to poor medical facilties, I don't know that even for a concluding line that this would be appropriate. I believe the article could have eneded with the line above it or possibly have switched the helicopter info around with the background on India's car accident history and ended with that.

I also felt that the reporter for the Nepal article had gained a lot more information than the writer of the Kashmir bus writer. The Nepal reporter had quotes and more stats, such as how many people had originally been on the bus and how many were still missing. The Kashmir writer however, only seemed to have gathered two lines of info about the actual incident (and it looks like that info was taken from another source).

I guess when it would come down to placing these two articles in a newspaper's small left over space, you would need to look at length and size first before you could add more content. The bare basics would be needed if you had only a limited amount of space.

Back to class