Their Writing Makes Reading Effortless

"Orwell puts this sentiment more plainly, despite the help of a similie: 'Good prose is like a window pane.' The reader notices not the writing, but the world" (Clark and Scanlan 299).

If I read a well written news article, I tend to become more engrossed with the story than I do the writing. As an English major, I sometimes do get consumed with the way someone writes instead of what they are writing about, especially if I think the writing is poor. However, if I find myself engaged in the story, then I know the person, whether it's a reporter or an author of a book, is a good writer. They kind of make reading their writing effortless.

When it comes to reading news stories, I usually find myself paying more attention to the writing than I really do the story. For daily headlines, I usually find myself just reading list of cold hard facts, and I pay more attention to the style of the writer than the story because the story seems to be lacking everything except the bare bones it needs to stant on its own. Sometimes this type of writing I find a little relieving, like when I just feel like glancing over the news and all I want is just the facts as quickly as possible (which I guess is what most readers want). However, sometimes I feel that there lacks interest in the story because of how boiled down everything is.

I found the example on page 297 of Anne Hull's story to be interesting for many reasons. First of all, the style was definately more catchy than an average news style. Second, was this an actual news story? It seems more like storytelling form than journalist form (although should there really be a differnece?). If it is a real article, I think a news story written like this every now and then would be sort of refreshing, although the facts may not appear as fast as what is necessary.

Bye