I Like the Difference

The comparison between newswriting and academic writing really helped to show me the differences between the styles and structures. I personally like the difference since I hate trying to stuff academic papers with enough fluff that it sounds like I'm trying to say something important. Also, I think when comparing the two together, for newswriting you pretty much know what and how to write it. What is required for academic writing changes depending on who you professor or teacher is. A paper could be considered good academic writing by one professor while considered less than satisfactory by another. In a way this affects newswriting as well because one reader could think an article is well written while another think it is poor. However, as was mentioned in the column comparison, news articles are written for the audience that is interested. If someone isn't interested in an article, it doesn't really matter.

As we continue to learn more about newswriting, I'm becoming more interested in how careful you have to be as a reporter with your word choice. The column comparison gave another example of how a single word can give many meanings to a reader, and sometimes the wrong one: "Since Fred Smith was elected mayor six months ago, the city saw the local unemployment rate drop to 4%" (English Essay vs. News Story). As the column explained, the since can completely through the sentence as well as the artcle off because of the different meanings a reader can derive from it. I originally knew reporters had to be careful, such as having to use certain wording when someone was arrested, but I didn't realize to the extent in how simple words can affect the meanings and messages being sent to the audience.

Bye