Series

The New York Times website is organized in such a way that a reader can clearly pick and choose what stories they want to read or what topics they want to research. The interactive parts of the website are very beneficial as well and add an extra level to the story that a reader would miss with only the physical newspaper. I find this website to be a midpoint: one connecting a newspaper to TV broadcasting, making better quality of perhaps both by using media to expand on stories while refining images and video with added written content to add more detail.

Some of the interactions I liked the most were the ones where there were a series of video for a series of stories that was connected under one main topic. One series topic was called Held by the Taliban. This series included five parts and an epilogue. Each part had a written articles as well as added media, such as a short video interview or a slideshow. The combination of the two really made the series effective, added faces to names and images to areas being described.

Check out each part:

Part One: 7 Months, 10 days in Captivity

Part Two: Inside the Islamic Emirate

Part Three: You Have Atomic Bombs, but We Have Suicide Bombers

Part Four: A Drone Strike and Dwindling Hope

Part Five: A Rope and A Prayer

Epilogue

The titles of each part were effective as well. The title of Part Three immediately gained my attention first because of how threatening it sounded.

Which one interested you the most?

Back

Dianna Griffin said:

Katie, this blog is really useful. I also enjoyed The New York Times, and I thought it was easy to use. However, sometimes I find myself clicking on one thing and then another, and then I can't find my way back