Portfolio 4 - A Final Look

For those unfamiliar with EL227: This is the fourth and final portfolio I have created for my EL227 Newswriting class at Seton Hill University. Throughout the semester, we explored some basics of journalism as well as had the opportunity to practice writing some of our own articles. The blogging portfolios that we created contain collections of individual blogs on certain topics that our class discussed online prior to attending classes.

It feels like December arrived in a hurry this year. Although I am glad to have the semester end (as most of us are by the time finals week rolls around), I still can't believe how quickly the semester passed. In the amount of time spent in Newswriting, I have gained alot of experience with studying and producing different types of journalism. From TV news to physical newspapers to web pages, our class seemed to have covered a good bit of ground. Before getting into my final relfection of the class, take a look at some of my recent, and final, blog posts for the class.

Coverage

Here are a few blogs to start out with.

Might Be a Little Too Much - Investigate reporting deals with searching for something someone is trying to hide. I'm trying to do a little bit of this with my Capstone project, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm in over my head with the whole idea.

A Tough Situation - Minority groups in journalism need to be included, both in what is written as well as in the faculty of the newspapers. This topic causes some touchy debates.

Timeliness

These are blogs I managed to get posted on time.

Two Sides- Unidentified sources, how important are they for the readers? Would readers rather receive news later with identified sources or would they rather receive breaking news as quickly as possible even if some of the sources cannot be identified? There are perks and downsides to both.

The Press Should Protect the Kids - When it comes to interviewing, the press should take special care when interviewing minors. What is quoted could affect them for the rest of their lives. 

Depth

For some topics, I had a longer discussion. Check out what caught my interest and kept me typing.

Daily American vs. Tribune Democrat - Comparing the two papers I receive at home.

Would I Want That to Happen to Me? - Sometimes reporters need to take a step back from their work and consider how they would feel if they were the ones being written about. This self reflection would provide a quick fairness check to their article.

Win-Lose - Freedom of the press: is it being taken advantage of? Where would the line be drawn if it were to become more limited?

Interaction

This is a blog where I mentioned and linked to a few blogs that belonged to my other classmates.

The Cavalier  -  A look at a student newspaper. For this particular paper, there were some issues with the way the website was designed.

Discussion

Here are a couple of comments I left on my classmates' blogs.

Jessie's Blog - Here's  a comment I left on her blog on the discussion of the freedom of the press.

Jen's Blog - Another comment I left on a similar discussion topic.

Xenoblogging

For this portfolio, I had several blogs that had multiple links included (usually I only have a few). Since we were studying some online newspapers during this section, alot of links needed to be used in order to show what I was talking about.

Series - An analysis of a slide show and related articles in the New York Times. The combination of the two allows readers to have options.

Comparing Sites - These are the links I used for some basic research for my Article 4, a practice exercise of investigative reporting. The Santa Monica link will probably be included in my final copy of the article, as an example of a link that would lead readers to more information about the topic covered.

Backup Needed - Our class was supposed to look at a website that provided information mainly through videos. I couldn't get any of the videos to work, causing me to miss out on the information. So, I decided to blog about how a website shouldn't have only one means of providing information, there should be a second option, or a back up plan, in case one method fails.

Addition or Distraction? - This blog takes a look at an article on Wired.com and explores how the several links that are provided in Wired's articles tends to allow the reader to get a little distracted from what they were orignally reading. However, sometimes the distraction can lead to additional information about the topic that can be important for the reader.

Harvard News - A look at a student newspaper. This paper had an organized chaos look that worked well for catching readers' attention to articles as well as providing a lot of information at a glance.

Wildcard

For my wildcard, I chose a few different pieces. The first is my Honors Capstone Proposal, which is kind of the kickoff to online blog journal I have to create for it. The other three pieces are the three portfolios I created earlier in this class.

Honors Capstone Proposal

Portfolio 1: Learning the Basics

Portfolio 2: A Second Collection 

Portfolio 3: The Semester is Flying

~ Relfection on Class ~

I felt like we covered alot of different topics in journalism and were able to learn a little bit about each. I also feel as if my writing as overall improved, even when not writng news articles because I have learned how to become more condensed with my writing and not use so many fillers. The in class activities, such as mock press conferences and guest speakers helped me to understand how prepared and quick thinking a journalist has to be. Getting to write different styles of articles for the class also helped me to understand how to write differently depending on the situation and the audience.

I think the only suggestion I have is that there could have been more opportunities for peer reviews as more as more experience with writing some of the articles. However, I think alot of this depends on the time alotted for the class, in this case there was only fifity minutes to work with.

Thanks for checking my portfolio out, feel free to leave comments. Bye!

Back to class