Delving Into Genres: Historical Fiction

I've already said before that I'm not sure what genre I want to write for yet. I thought I had gone over every genre, but I was wrong. While I was at Barnes and Noble the other day, I found a book called Valley Forge that takes place during the Revolutionary War. If my life was a cartoon, a lightbulb would have appeared over my head. I had forgotten about Historical Fiction.

For those who don't know, Historical Fiction works like regular fiction, except that it features real historical people as characters. In Valley Forge, George Washington and many of his aides are featured as characters. I only glanced at it though because I knew that if I started reading it I wouldn't get any work done (but then again, I read historical books faster than regular books).

Though you may find it hard to believe, I'm crazy about history, especially the Revolutionary War. I feel that it doesn't get enough focus in school. My love for history started when PBS was airing a show called Liberty's Kids which told the war through the eyes of three young people (they released the whole series as a boxset). If you have time, you should check it out on youtube.

Nerdiness aside, I definitely want to give Historical Fiction a try. It would be educational to those who read it and I know for a fact that I would enjoy writing it.

Katelyn Snyder said:

I love historical fiction (my period of choice is the Civil War and the Holocaust), but I definitely think it's difficult to write. I think it's such a valuable genre, however, because history is basically stories, and making those stories interesting and dynamic so people desire to learn is a valuable goal.