...

The Senate compromise is a piece of crap. Yeah. Basically the Democrats said they'd only filibuster in "extreme" cases, and the Republicans said they'd only try the nuclear option under "extreme" circumstances. Which is total crap because the Democrats have only filibustered in extreme cases to begin with (they've allowed 95% of Bush's nominees through, only filibustering 10), and because the Republicans can just bring out the nuclear option whenever a convenient "extreme" time arises. Plus the Republicans can look better because the majority of the American public were against the nuclear option thing to begin with. It's just....crap.

In a related issue: George Voinovich is my new best friend.

- - - - -

Current Reading:
Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress by Susan Gilman
Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto by Chuck Klosterman
Metamorphisis by Frank Kafka
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

I'm in the middle of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time at the moment. I had thought that it might have something to do with a character having to go off to college and learning to adjust, etc. It's actually about this autistic kid whose neighbor's dog is murdered. I don't like the book much so far. It's just not to my tastes, I think. There's no humor and every sentence is rather short and robotic. And although the setting of the book is in England, the characters don't use typical British dialogue, with the exception of their curse words. In general I'm finding it to be rather poorly written. I mean, it's rather obvious that the author's only research in autism is probably what he saw in the movie "Rain Man." Maybe I'm just being too harsh..

However, it is an improvement compared to the literary selections in high school, which I've been thinking about lately. Maybe I'm just crazy, but honestly - Go Ask Alice? Because that's not a piece of high-handed excrement written to discourage drug use and various other less-than-socially-acceptable issues. Another crazy idea, how about bringing some books in with actual literary merit? Can we dump I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings? How about tossing some Vonnegut in there or actually teaching kids to question Shakespeare's genius? Critical thought for literature goes beyond analyzing 1984 and Fahrenheit 451. How about some American poetry beyond Robert Frost? Louise Gluck for example, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Pablo Neruda, or Gary Soto? Can we dump the intense admiration for Sylvia Plath and realize that, really, she and Anne Sexton just wrote glorified whining? No, really, what about Doestoevsky or Camus? Oh wait, it'd be too much for the average kids, wouldn't it? We can't ever make them actually try harder or possibly ...fail?

Click below for my little review of Star Wars and the Revenge of the Sith...

Star Wars and the Revenge of the Sith - REVIEW

Although it was so much better than episodes one and two, it still doesn't do justice to the original trilogy. The acting was a bit better and there was a good deal less whining from Anakin. It was exciting, and not just because it is one of my fandoms. Of coarse, I cannot ignore its massive plot holes. Or the fact that George Lucas still hasn't managed to create some decent dialogue. The scenes between Padme and Anakin were the worst. It seems as though he just pulled lines from the latest teen romance novels:

"You're beautiful..."
"I'm only beautiful because I'm in love..."

Wow, Lucas. Did you hire a giggling 12-year old fangirl to write that charming little nugget of dialouge?

However, I did enjoy spotting the subtle anti-Bush comments. That was lovely.

Oh, and that last scene with Vader bellowing "NOOOO!" and shattering bottles with the Force was total crap. Vader does not do emotion. DO NOT MESS WITH VADER.

P.S.: If Lucas even considers making the sequels, (the ones with Luke and Mara Jade, Han's rapid spiral into alcoholism, and Chewbacca's death at the hands of Han and Leia's son, Anakin) I will personally get medieval on his ass.

Questioning Shakespare's genius? You'd better smile when you say that. Them's fighting words.

I'm curious... do you have any first-hand experience working with autistic youths? I've been fascinated by the way The Curious Incident... presents the protagonist as having absolutely no fanciful or sensual imagination in some sense, but as having an amazingly fertile intellectualy imagination on the other hand. I'm only about halfway through the book, and I was impressed by the way the emotional energey picked up when you encounter the first big plot twist. (I won't spoil the effect for you if you haven't gotten that far.)

Yes! Finally! Someone who thinks like me but isnt me! Oh Hallejuah!

I will say it now, there is a god! Oh Kayla please tell me your 18+ so I can kiss you. lol.

Questioning Shakespeare's genius...you mean like the fact that he stole most of his plays from history (Julius Caesar, Marc Antony and Cleopatra and all of those damn Henry the Infinity)? Or the fact that most of his romances don't fit a typical romance..

As for poetry beyond Robert Frost, what about Emily Dickenson? She was as American as an overripe apple pie waiting for death.

Kayla, a word of warning--becareful what you say about Republicans and Catholics around SHU. People won't take kindly to what you say.

As Voltaire once said, "I may not like what you say, but I will defend your right to say it."

Be wise young Jedi. Be strong. Be opiniated.

Like Dr. Jerz said, quote Ms. Frizzle, "Get messy, take chances, make mistakes."

Carpe diem young freshman.