Comments - Traction by Erik Ramsey

Comments - Traction by Erik Ramsey

I was also wondering why they saw their old cars, maybe because they were looking into a wheel, and that they also re tread tires. But if this is religious, why would they see their old cars instead of God or something?

Posted by: Denamarie at August 31, 2005 10:58 PM

I have the same question as Kayla, Why did they all see their old cars when they looked into the wheel? There were a bucnh of possibilities that I came up with but the reason that I think most is because the story's setting was in a factory and "seeing a car" would be what related to every charcter in the play. I also want to know what Elmore's promise was that he said he had to keep. I see that Katie and David had posted comments saying that they could realte the play to religion, and in a way I could too because of the many references to Elmore and the four way tire iron that is present both at the beginning and end of the play. And if you want to put a religious twist on the story you could say that Brandon was like Jesus and Elmore and Mikey were his followers? I do not know...!!! The play also had many references of how Brandon and Elmore were in war together. Elmore:"You kept my shit straight in the gulf." Brandon: Many now believe in me because you have believed in me. So maybe the story's meaning was just about the two men staying friends and trying to make something out of their life once they got out of the service? Another line in the play that I didn't understand was when Elmore said to Mikey: Holiness? He's doing that routine for ya? Which makes me think that towards the end of the play Elmore just went along with what Mikey and Brandon were saying so he could get them off of his back and clean up the shop for the inspectors? Overall, even if I never find out what this story was supposed to mean it was still a great, entertaining play to read.

Posted by: Gina Burgese at September 1, 2005 12:31 PM

Kayla - that's a curious thought about what did they see when they looked into the cars. Any ideas? I wondered about that, too. I still don't know....

Posted by: Katie Aikins at September 1, 2005 04:08 PM