Heart in the Ground by Douglas Hill

Heart in the Ground by Douglas Hill

I wish we could have found out why Lee went to prison. He didn’t seem to be overly aggressive or exhibit any anti-social tendencies. I am curious why Karen, a clever young woman with great determination, who knows how to farm and is the legal owner of a farm, would be keen to marry a man who went to prison. Or did he go to prison for Karen the first time she committed grave robbery? That could be another reason why he wants her to stop so badly:

LEE: …And I don't have the law in my hands—he does. Hell, I don't even have it on my side right now, thanks to you!”

Karen also seems to allude to past instances where Lee has been rather cowed and eager to please Bill:

KAREN: …You think that what I'm doing is wrong because Bill says it is. You think that everything that comes out of his mouth is gospel law.”

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at August 29, 2005 05:20 PM

Do you think that Bill was really out to take the farm or was he just, as Lee pointed out, trying to do his job? Could his attempts to send Karen to Marshall Valley just be out of brotherly concern?
Does Bill even truly want the farm or is this just a conspiracy that was created by a hysterical mother? There is never much exploration of Bill being a terrible brother or just a generally greedy and vengeful person. Maybe Karen was just using it as an excuse to get Lee riled up enough to support her cause.

Since Bill is the sheriff he could probably just take the farm if he really wanted it. Who could stop him? They seem to be living in a very rural area.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at August 29, 2005 10:47 PM

why do u think Lee was in prison? Ido not understand you