A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen 2

A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen

Part 2

A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen

Part 2

Mrs Linde. One must live, Doctor Rank.

Rank. Yes, the general opinion seems to be that it is necessary.

Nora. Look here, Doctor Rank--you know you want to live.”

I originally thought that Dr. Rank seemed haughty and self-righteous because of his comments about diseased moral characters, how society is becoming a sick house, and the way he was so quick to judge Krogstad. After having read the third act I can see that he was just thinking of his father:

Rank. Oh, it's a mere laughing matter, the whole thing. My poor innocent spine has to suffer for my father's youthful amusements.”

I hadn’t looked very closely at Dr. Rank until the third act. Now, upon further reflection, I see that he’s actually rather sarcastic and has a self-deprecating sense of humor. He’s even cynical about his patients: “Rank. That is the sentiment that is turning Society into a sick-house.”

Nora. I wanted you so much to be in a really good humour.

Rank. With death stalking beside me?“

He may continually bring up his death, but he does so in a dry, caustic way that makes it clear he isn’t fishing for sympathy. The manner that he speaks of death makes the other characters around him not take it too seriously or respond with tears and pity. Neither of which I think he’d appreciate.