Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe

Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe

“Shall I make spirits fetch me what I please, Resolve me of all ambiguities, Perform what desperate enterprise I will? I’ll have them fly to India for gold, Ransack the ocean for orient pearl, And search all corners of the new-found world For pleasant fruits and princely delicates. I’ll have them read me strange philosophy And tell the secrets of all foreign kings. I’ll have them…” (you get the idea)

Faustus uses knowledge as a form of control. He doesn’t see it as a way to better himself, only to make himself better than others. He said he wants to be like a god – who has more control than a god? He might have a lot of knowledge, but he doesn’t have the position of a king to make full use of his knowledge.

He also seems to want more servants. He has Wagner, who seems pretty intellectual and could probably do a bit of mental sparing with Faustus if he only asked. Faustus was in such a hurry to have Mephistopheles to order around when all this time he had Wagner. Mephistopheles wouldn’t even give Faustus everything he asked for while Wagner served Faustus out of love:

“WAGNER. Sir, so wondrous well As in all humble duty I do yield My life and lasting service for your love.”