Morgan Spurlock initiates “Inspiring Perspective”

Seton Hill University (SHU) hosted a lecture by Morgan Spurlock in Cecilian Hall Thursday. The lecture was part of their “Inspiring Perspective” series, which features well-known speakers and performers.

“He was chosen because his presentation is both entertaining and informational. It appeals to students as well as faculty,” said Dr. Daniel Bernstein of the hospitality and tourism department. “That’s what Seton Hill looks for – someone who will appeal to everyone.”

A writer, director, and producer, Spurlock has completed 60 projects over the past 12 years. His film Super Size Me, which gave a dark look into the fast food industry, won the Best Director Award at the Sundance Film Festival. Six weeks after the movie premiered, McDonalds’s sales plummeted 75%.

“I think he’s a positive role model for Seton Hill students because he was rejected from film school five times but still persevered and went on to be nominated for an Academy Award,” said Bernstein.

“He’s the intellectual version of “Jackass.” He asks us to examine ourselves,” said introductory speaker Dr. Frank Klapack of the communication department.

During the lecture, topics ranged from food, McDonalds statistics, post-movie changes, and corporate as well as personal responsibility.

“Obviously it’s not a shock to find out that eating at McDonalds three times a day is going to be bad for you. I mean, what’s another word for fast food? Junk food! It’s called junk for a reason,” said Bernstein.

After the movie, Spurlock had gained 25 pounds in 30 days and had to work hard to regain his health. After eight weeks of being on a detox diet, he had lost 10 pounds and his cholesterol dropped significantly. It took 14 months to lose all 25 pounds.

“It’s made me a conscious consumer. Suddenly I became aware of what I was putting in my mouth,” said Spurlock. “Time and money are most important to us. Health is last. We need to make health a habit. Every time I use my fork I make a choice,” said Spurlock.

When asked what changes he would like to see McDonalds take, Spurlock said, “Stop manipulating kids, stop targeting kids, stop targeting kid’s movies. Then maybe we’ll have a level playing field. Get fast food back to being a rarity, a treat.”

”The information he presents is very interesting and very scary. Definitely should give us pause to think about how we are living our lives, what we are doing to ourselves, our children, etc,” said Dr. Charmaine Strong of student services.