The AP Stylebook

The AP Stylebook (p. 338-368)

The AP Stylebook (p. 338-368)

Wow. So happy I’m not majoring in law. “The Summary of First Amendment Rules” on page 354 was the most helpful.

“The definition of slander is thus more narrow than that of libel in California – so the speaker you quote may not be guilty of slander, but your written publication of the same matter may constitute a libel.”

I thought that was part of a quote being a human voice. Quotes are not allowed to have bias? I had thought they could say as many outrageous things they’d like, because the quotations made it all right.

It gives examples what is allowed in certain states and how things are defined differently. I had thought the rules of journalism were universal, not different in some states.

It's okay for a source to be biased, and it's okay for you to quote a biased source, But if you say something like "The chef at X restaurant can't cook," that's libel. You can, without risking libel, say "I didn't like the veal at restaurant X" or "the veal was dry Thursday night."