Wildcard

Wildcard.

I’ve finally come up with a few article ideas for the Summer Orientation issue of the Setonian. They’re rather simple and I’m not sure I’d be able to come up with 1200-words. I tried to think about my own experiences, but I really haven’t any.

It’s very late, but this is what I’ve got:

An article for parents about how to adapt now that their kid has left home and moved away to college. Something about the hobbies they could pick up. I’m not sure if it’s all right to use examples from my own life in the article. If so, I could talk about how my parents have bought Tivo and adopted it as if it were a member of the family. I’ve had to listen to hours of descriptions of all its neat tricks and talents. They’ve also had to rely on each other more. They’re working more and cooking less. They’ve discovered an interest in recreational biking and have started reconnecting with old friends.

My only other idea is: Roommate Horror Stories – You can’t go wrong with roommate horror stories. Everybody loves them, and I think the general rule is: the more terrifying, the better. I would like to write about how to resolve any situation, no matter how unpleasant, without poison or physical violence.

This is something I actually have experience in.

I live in a world of headphones. Just like all you need to hitchhike the galaxy is a towel, one can survive any roommate situation with headphones. Soulless, mechanical pop music 24/7 and every night from ten to two – the boyfriend calls. Every day she gives me more and more material to work with, so I can see this as being easily updated. Would I be allowed to refer to my own situation? Perhaps if I used a different name or referred to her as “The Roommate”? If not, I still wouldn’t mind writing about roommate problems. I could give a general overview on how to actually tolerate your roommate on a regular basis, without giving into the temptation to assassinate them Trotsky-style.

Good suggestions, Kayla. I can imagine this as a feature, which would permit you to use the first-person. But it might be a bit odd to go back and forth between a newsy report that gives an overview, and a personal-but-humorous "My life is hell" essay. I'll let you think about that as you develop your article pitches.

Kayla, those ideas are great! Everyone, like you said, likes a good "monster roomate" story..hmm..better not say that too loud, Dr. A might hear. But yeah, that second option is a great idea!

I agree--the second idea is really good. I actually have a friend who goes to Mercyhurst who always tells me stories referring to her roommates as "The Roommate 1" or "The Roommate 2."

I'm sure you're not the only person who has roommate horror stories. In fact, I'm DEFINITELY sure. Just ask around. They're there.