Myspace: The “Cultural Phenomenon” we just can’t stop talking about… ever

Lehre’s ''MySpace: The Movie'' gave us a satirical presentation on the popular social medium. Myspace has a lot of satirical profiles. This leads me to my question of: How long till politicians get their very own Myspace (another example)? At the moment, there only seems to be profiles created by supporters and non-supporters.

Stafford’s ''Why parents must mind MySpace'' taught us about online dangers and the importance of good parenting. As did Haddock’s ''Online Danger Zone'' (AKA: The Internet: Poison for Children). And Boyd’s ''Friendster lost steam. Is MySpace just a fad?'' looked at Myspace as a necessary coming-of-age practice.

Boyd’s essay said that being apart of Myspace was the equivalent to “being in the know”. Apparently I wasn’t “in the know” for quite some time. I had never heard about the website till I started college. My freshman year roommate had written an e-mail to me over the summer saying, “I don’t have time to write you an e-mail about myself, so here’s my Myspace.” This led me to think of Myspaces as a sort of social resume.

Over the summers, it’s all about Myspace. But like birds flying south for the winter, students seem to flock to Facebook at the start of term. Am I the only one who notices this strange migration? Is this “cultural phenomena” seasonal?

I've never heard about that migration before. If this class had a research paper, I'd encourage you to look into that. It might be a good subject for your "richly linked blog entry" (coming up). The upperclass characters in classic BritLit novels mention the social "season" sometimes. A paper that compared the eipstolatory novels of BritLit to MySpace and Facebook social networks could be very interesting. (Again, that's outside the scope of what I'm asking you to accomplish in this class.)