Linking, blurbing, bullets, navigation bars, and everything else under the sun

Bulleted lists are great, and navigation bars are lovely.

Okay. Now what’s the code for these super tools?

We read about linking and blurbing and then we got to practice. But what about everything else?

I want to mess around and give them a try. I can make a banner, but I’ve never tried a navigational bar before. To me, navigational bars seem like banners with links. I just can’t figure out how to code it.

The same can be said for a side bar. However, I do have one example at my fingertips for that particular tool: the SHU blogs. They have side bars, and the Main Index template shows how they’re coded.

For those who are dying of curiosity (as I am), they seem to start with:

< div id="right" >
< div class="sidebar" >

and continue from there.

As for bullets, I noticed that Cherie Menser had bullets in her entry, "Putting Price to Good Use". Either she knows a fancy code, or she managed to get them in another way. So I did a little experiment and found out that…

• If
• You
• Make
• Bullets
• In
• MSWord
• They
• Show
• Up
• On
• Blogs

The same is true when pasting your bullets into Notepad. They even show up after saving it .html.

Excellent. Another mystery solved.

I can only read about how great all these tools are for so long, before wanting to try them for myself.

The only thing I used was a 'ul' first (which I believe makes text shift to the right a little--like bullets usually do). Then I used the code 'li' to create the bullet.

I just googled bullet lists in html, and the site I found was pretty simple to understand. (It even shows how to do bullets under other bullets, or how to change the solid circle to an open circle, square, or pointer.)

Is this the easiest or best way to do it, I don't know--I'm still a newbie, but thanks for mentioning MSWord and Notepad.

Kayla, using MS word will certainly get you the bullet character, but Cherie's way is the more technically correct way. Cherie would be able to use a stylesheet to put a shaded box around every one of her bulleted lists, for instance.

Type this into your blog editing window, and you'll get a bulleted list.

<ul><li>Item 1</li><li>Item 2</li></ul>

Dr. Jerz, how did you get > to appear in the text without the program interpreting them as code?

Type, without the spaces,

& lt ; (for "less than")
& gt ; (for "greater than")