WM Douglas

"As I writhed under it, I would at times feel that learning to read had been a curse rather than a blessing. It had given me a view of my wretched condition, without the remedy. It opened my eyes to the horrible pit, but to no ladder upon which to get out." - (p. 100) Fredrick Douglas, Writing Materials

This is the same reason why people say they don't watch the news. They say it's too depressing. They find it too painful to be well-informed.

Those people do not want to be informed,they fear change. The only people that want to change the world, are well-informed on current events.

I definitley just realized we did practically the same quote. I like how you compared it to the bummer of news in the world. interesting angle.

I am reminded of the saying "ignorance is bliss." Douglas only knew slavery. Once he had seen how much better life could be, he realized just how horribly he was treated. But opening your eyes is the first step. If Douglas had not discovered that slaves in the North were free, he would have probably remained a slave because he wouldn't know that there is hope out there.