SNSG Ch 6-9

“Student newspapers should offer upclose reporting on college life and culture… Young journalists want to be lke older professionals and don’t realize that their greatest resource is being themselves - young and surrounded by student life.” - Ch. 8, The Student Newspaper Survival Guide by Rachele Kanigel, p. 64

This chapter is about the arts and entertainment section about how being young means we have a different perspective to offer. However, I think this can be applied to all of the sections.

When writing news articles on topics that the Tribune Review has already covered, I’ve found they often miss important details. This is probably because we have more access to the SHU staff than they do. Our contacts are better and easier to access.

I do agree with what you have to say. Students do, in fact, offer a lot of vital insight. When it comes to culture and college life, I would rather ask a student before I would ask a faculty member.

As you get older, your insight changes. I'm in no hurry to grow up. Write from where you are in your life, not where you want to be.

That's the benefit of being at a small school: you don't have to jump through hoops in order to get in contact with someone. Often times, they're just an email or office visit away.