SNSG Ch3

“The most efficient way to cover a campus is to develop a coordinated beat system.” - Ch. 3, The Student Newspaper Survival Guide by Rachele Kanigel, p. 20

A beat is a reporter's specialization, a topic they often write about. I don’t think we really use that term with the Setonian. People have sections that they like to write for. I think that’s the same thing.

I feel that this book is geared towards larger institutions, like stae schools. Seton Hill is so small, so beats would probably overlap often. On a campus like University of Florida, which has 50,000 students, there would be a need for beat assignment because there would be an overflow of news. The campus is the size of a small city. They probably have a gigantic paper staff. SHU is a lot more cozy. Everyone knows everyone, so we can pick and choose our own areas. I love that I have my owm column now and can choose my owm topics (editor approved, of course).

Kayla, a beat within the News section might be "student government" or "commuter students" or "new construction" or "diversity" -- a beat reporter would always file a story on that topic within the news section.

Beat sounds like something from the 1920s. You know, the detective type talking to a journalist "Keep walking that beat kid, you'll find that story your looking for." I think it is an older term that is not, really, used to much today. I do like the idea of it though. Plant people. The Setonian, sort of does that. They place people where they feel comfortable.