There is no meaning of any work of literature

“Whenever the author turns into a reader of his own work, he must therefore revert to the code, which he had already recoded in his work” (142 Iser).

The meaning of a work all depends on the readers and audience at the time. So when the writer becomes the reader the audience takes that as the truth above all truths.  The author’s ideals would come out and there would be no more room for interpretation otherwise. If people of today do not become aware of the fact that the author becoming the reader of their own peace is not the final answer the world will be stuck not being able to think for themselves. There is so such thing as the ideal reader of any written work because even the author as an ideal reader would not come up with the meaning of their work to all audiences. As time moves on a reader conducts many meanings of a work of literature through observing other documentation that has been created and becomes available to the audiences. The writer has no way of predicting the future documentation that will become available to define their works.  

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: There is no meaning of any work of literature .

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.cgi/19405

» EL 312 Blog portfolio from KayleyDardano

Sue said:

I actually thought about this quote for a little while when I saw, no I didn't write about it but it did make me think. I don't think the writer can ever really become the reader, because they wrote it, it has to be difficult to stand back and look at the work in a different perspective. I agree with you that there isn't an ideal reader, just don't tell Iser that.

Jenna said:

I agree that there is no ideal reader. I took “Writing of Fiction” and it was a topic that we discussed. I think authors keep a specific group of people in mind while writing works. For instance, if the author writes mystery, the author will stick to conventions that the readers would properly interpret as mystery readers. The authors probably have to imagine some type of audience or write on subjects that they would like to read. Like you said, the author may even miss elements of a work that others find.