Fall from Grace

For anybody who went to Sunday School before they should know about Lucifer. An angel who was the right hand of God and know the leader of Hell. There is a simple reason why a fall from grace happened to him...pride. Lucifer thought that he was the brightest and the boldest entity in Heaven. He was so arrogant that he decides to climb to the throne of God:

LUCIFER: There shall I set me, sublimely in sight, To recieve my due reverence, my rightful renown. I shall be the One who is highest on height.

Talk about having a big head. Even though a lot of people know this story , a lot of people are being taught that ALL pride is a good thing, which to me isn't true at all. When certain people have pride they choose to look down on others who are less fortunate than themselves. This should be used as a lesson to think about people that may need help. What do you think about pride?

I totally agree with you Kevin. Pride is not always a good thing. Like we talked about when we read Oedipus, pride is a common flaw in characters in literature. Pride can be a good thing, too. I think that pride is somewhat linked to self-esteem in that you should be proud of who you are and be proud of things you have accomplished in your life. You have a right to be proud of those things. But, your rights also only extend as far as another persons begins. Pride is good, within moderation. When you become so proud that you think you are better than other people, (as Lucifer was) or if you are so proud you think you are incapable of doing anything wrong (as Oedipus was) that becomes a problem.

Pride is not all bad, but it goes bad when it becomes ego.

Right on Lorin. There is definately a fine line between pride and confidence. Yes pride can lead to a downfall, but without it, people in this world can walk all over you. Pride is an integral part of a person's character. The difference between pride and confidence is that pride is a wanting, or a longing to be better than someone else. It's like doing something for the wrong reason, just so you are recognized for it. Confidence is a knowing that you will be able to handle yourself in any certain situation. I think it's also a kind of mental toughness that says, "hey, no one can affect me negatively unless I allow them to bother me." Lucifer definately shows pride and not confidence. Good point Kevin.

I did notice that this Lucifer character was talkin quite a bit about himself. I admit i did not know exactly what he was until this person told me. It makes sense now.

who is kelo?