« MWG Portfolio Collection 2 | Main | Torn Away »

Tunnel Vision- (adj) Half truths

News Writing-- EL227

It is totally clear that the media leave out certain details to make a a point of view better or cause people alarm. The examples in the book stated the dangers of looking in only at one direction for an explanation hence ignoring alternative explanation that gives a rounder, fuller picture of a subject. Dr. Jerz stated on Wednesday that using these "rules" is sort of skill. You can draw people in by using this. Like a used car salesman for example. Or better yet the example from the book, that had a statistic that infectious diseases rose by 58%, but what they didn't say is that most of the victims were elderly , a group most likely to catch a disease very easily. They tell you something that is true to make a succesful lie. Or worse, make the other side look stupid. Like this opinion piece by the devil in the flesh himself Bill O'Reilly. He says how much it the Democrats are bashing Alito, but what he is not going to tell you is that they want to know more about Alito before making him a judge, like the Yahoo article says. So who to believe, yourselves.

Posted by KevinHinton at November 3, 2005 8:12 PM

Great presentation, Kevin! I liked the analogy you used. Also, you didn't appear nervous at all. You have an enthusiasm for learning that I admire.

Posted by: NancyGregg at November 4, 2005 12:25 PM

I agree with Nancy, that was a great presentation the other day!

I'm not exactly a political person, but I have seen Bill O'Reilly on TV, and I know how he uses true statements to turn the issue around. I wouldn't necessarily call him the devil, though. Even if I don't understand or agree with his side of the issue, I have to say he's very clever with HOW he says what he does.

Posted by: Valerie Masciarelli at November 8, 2005 9:23 PM

Thanks, It was a pleasure doing this presentation!

Posted by: KevinHinton at November 9, 2005 12:25 AM