Rationalize or Romaticize

Intro to Lit Study--EL 150

Haddon, Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-TIme

When I read this in the summer, I read this mostly for fun. But now that I am reading this for a class, I see this book in a different light. Chistopher is seen a boy with little emotions, which maybe due to his autism. Nevertheless, when he found the letter that his mother wrote after her "death" he didn't know what to do. When she people with mental disorders as people that is beyond our help and understanding. Yet it is Christopher who is totally a mathmatical genius and one hell of a detective . So what should Christopher do? He is the only one that can solve the problem about the death of Wellington, yet he is emotionally detached from the rest of the world.

In the confusing game of life and death should we:

Learn as much as we can about our cultures and anything else we need to know (Since we are told that education is everything)?

Or

Care about what is going on in the world and stop taking everything face value?

That's a very good question, Kevin. It's a similar conflict between the value of being a generalist and being a specialist.

Kevin that is an excellent question. I think that you bring up a really interesting point. It seems to me that this is a "ping pong" issue.
PING: Totally concerned with learning about other cultures and respecting other cultures as you said in the first question.
PONG: Care about what's going on in the world and not taking everything face value.
PING: Worrying about nothing but everyone else.
PONG: "the curious incident of the dong in the night-time"

I think that the answer to that question lies within a little of both, or "PANG" if you will. There must be a balance in everthing for the human race to survive and it is evident in this situation as well.

Kevin, you have two really great questions. My opinion is that i think that we should care about what is going on in the world and stop taking everything face value. To me, I don't think it is so much about education than it is to DO something about it. I think that education is a great help, but to me I think it is better to help than to stand back, learn and observe.
Kevin, I also see the book in a different way then what i did the first time. I think it is because we have to analyze the book and we enjoy doing that so we try to find things that aren't so noticeable to the normal reader and bring it to the surface. I think that since the boy has a disease and this great gift of intelligence, it makes the book it the way it is, great. I think that he isnt emotionally attached, I just think that he just doesnt feel the same way as say we do about certain things. I also think that this aspect brings great things to the book.