« The Cheat Sheet | Main | Kelo The Great's Definition Of the Week »

Can't See Through The Tempest?

The Tempest, Shakespeare

Literary Criticism--EL312

This by far is one of the most confusing plays I have ever known of Shakespeare's. I read a lot on The Tempest, and still couldn't understand, so I decided to watch an actual performance on tape.
The version I saw was strangly produced, but accurate nevertheless.
It seems that all throughout the play, the island, with all of its beauty and luster, had turn Propero into something that he did not want to turn into...his brother, Antonio. Of course, like all the other readings, we will critique this play in other ways but I would like to end with a quote from Gonzalo to show you how strange this play is:

I'll warrant him for drowning;
though the ship were no stranger
than a nutshell and as leaky as an unstanched wench.

Posted by KevinHinton at February 12, 2007 3:52 PM

I never really made the connection that in a way Prospero was turning into his brother. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
He was turning into something evil with his magic and didn't want to make the same mistake his brother did so he wanted to make peace with his enemies even if it meant allowing for them to be in a horrible storm that left them astray on an island.

Posted by: Denamarie at February 13, 2007 8:51 PM

I think that you see Prospero turning into his brother becaues being exiled for 12 years with only your daughter, a slave, and a servant will do that to a person. There really wasn't anyway for Prospero to vent his anger at being overthrown by his brother and then exiled.

What did you think of the end of the play when Prospero forgives his brother and Gonzalo for their traitorous act? Did you find it redeeming in Prospero?

Posted by: Tiffany at February 14, 2007 10:23 AM