Kelo The Great's Definition of the Week

The Bedford Glossary of Critical and Literary Terms

Literary Criticism--EL312

I have to present this week on an article explaining psychology. We that word comes to mind, I think of Freud and Jung. Since everyone know about Freudian criticism, this week's word will be...

Jungian Criticism: A type of literary criticism based on the theories of Carl Jung. A theory that differs markedly from the psychoanalytic theory of Freud. Freud focuses on the individual unconscious and its manifestations; Jung identifies and concentrates on a collective unconscious that, he claims, is universally shared by people across cultures. This collective unconscious contains racial memories archtypes, primordial images and patterns, that reflect the elemental content of human experience from its earliest beginnings.

I know it is a shady subject to try to figure out the human psyche of a fictional character. But I think it is more about the author and less about the characters. According to Jung, every group of people has thoughts and reactions, what we call stereotypes. In literature, the authors tap into these stereotypes and use them to build their characters.