Standing In Long Lines of Influence

Ch 5 Intro, Keesey

Literary Criticism--EL312

Poems do not imitate life; they imitate other poems

That is the basis of intertexual criticism, not looking at reality as the basis of the text...but looking at prior text in the same genre, structure,etc. Keesey called it "genre criticism". Look at the poetry that was being written by Milton and Donne. We could see their infleunce being Arnold, Shelley, Dante, and Homer. And Dante got his infleunce by the bible.

I became extremely excited when Keesey mentioned T.S. Eliot's article. It all begins to blend in. Keesey used the examples of Eliot that I used on my blog entry Not In A Vacuum. "No poet, no artist of any art, has his complete meaning alone"...

This means that they HAS to be a line of infleunce in text. Especially in poetry, where "a study of poetry should help one understand poems." Looking at a poem and trying to compare it to real life is possible, yet hard. This is because of the fact that most poetry trancends life and creates a world in its own right (just look at Keats's Urn).

I don't think I agree with you 100%. When you have British Literature you will see that not all the poets build off of the poems in their genres. If they did it would be very boring. Part of intertextuality (at least from what I can figure) is about contrasting as much as it is comparing. So don't forget that differences are just as important as similarities.