« Is It Too Uncanny For You? | Main | Kelo The Great's Definition Of The Week »

March 18, 2007

Who Is Human, Who Is Replicant, Who Cares

Blade Runner, Scott (dir.)

Literary Criticism--EL312

Watching this movie, I think was an adventure in itself. On a cold, Sunday night, I joined some of my peers in watching this brainstew called Blade Runner. Watching this, I thought:

Why am I watching this in an English course.

And it suddenly hit me, there is a lot of intertexuality and mimetic (yeah right) aspects to the movies. We see the desires of the Replicants to be human and the real humans desire to kill the replicants. I found it ironic that it was the Replicants that seem to be more human than the humans sometimes. I think the novel as well as the movie received the inspiration from the novel Frankenstein.

Why?

Dr. Tyrell ( creator of the Replicants) had the biggest god-complex I have ever seen. He was extremely proud of his creations. An example is Rachel, and how Dr. Tyrell input his neices memories to give her a "past". If you play with fire, you will get burned. Dr. Tyrell was killed by Roy (another Replicant) when he refused to expand his life.

And then we have Deckard, one of those shoot now, ask questions later kind of guy. Of course he would be a true hero, right? Deckard has been hunting the Replicants down, for what? Money? Revenge of some sort? He has no other known purpose that to "retire" the Replicants. Is that very human?

There is a quote that Gaff (aka the oragami dude) said close to the end of the movie:

"Too bad she won't live, then again who does"

The Replicants are really tools of humanity, then again who is not. We work and sometimes speak for someone else, aren't we all just tools. If you think about life that way...humanity seems to be cheapened.

Posted by KevinHinton at March 18, 2007 10:47 PM

Life is vanity.
to me tyrell was the villian, evil one of the film. he like you said had a huge God complex. The replicants just wanted to live a little more, not harm the humans. And the quote from the end I thought spoke of the main theme of the film.

Posted by: Mitchell Steele at March 22, 2007 11:54 AM

I enjoyed your line that said "if you play with fire, you will get burned". It is the typical movie theme:
man creates machine,
machine kills man.
Well, in this case, there werent that many deaths caused by the replicants, just a few.
Tyrell wasnt aware of the underlying circumstances that may occur after the replicants discovered what they could have more of, years of life.

Posted by: Denamarie at March 22, 2007 12:38 PM