Ideology And Childhood

Literature and History, Eagleton

Literary Criticism--EL312

It did not surprise me that Marxism would raise its head in Culture-Historical Criticism. I liked Eagleton's approach on literature. There is one quote that hit me only a few sentences into the reading:

"Art and literature were part of the very air Marx breathed, as a formidably cultured German intellectual in the great classical tradition of his society."

Marx had been affected by the great medium we called literature, or maybe he had affect the literature as we know it. I think it is more of the former understanding that "literature is nothing but ideology in a certain artistic form—that works of literature are just expression of the ideologies of their time." I personally liked Erin's statement on her blog when she stated that Marxist thought is less about "bitching about the economy."

Going on another note, remember in my presentation I stated that the only reason why reader can't get in tune with fictional characters because they are adults. Eagleton stated that "our liking for Greek art is a nostalgic lapse back into childhood." Such Greek culture is revered in the arts, I think we should get into our child within us. But there is a difference between tapping into your inner child and being childish. Greek's overextensive beauty is a sign of what I call the "childhood of literature" the beginning of what we know today as literature.

You blogged on Easter? For shame... Nah, it's cool. I understand the work just piling up--believe me! I'm trying to graduate!

What you said about looking backward into Greek art kind of puzzled me, what with all the stuff we read in the Guetti about NOT being able to know anything about a piece of art BECAUSE it is in the past... (Kind of like what I talked about on blog when I quoted Guetti for saying all that crazy stuff to Keats' urn... Check it out--you'll know what I mean.) It just seems to me that you're referencing nostalgia as an essential part of experiencing art when Guetti doesn't seem to believe in nostalgia.

While I don't get Karissa's reference to Guetti because I chose to read the Feldstein article, I do understand about a quote hitting you a few lines in Kevin. I was interested to see your take on Marx's ideas. When you say, "Marx had been affected by the great medium we called literature, or maybe he had affect the literature as we know it." I have to say that I got the chills.

However, another thought pops into my mind as I type this. I mention in my comment to Erin on her blog "This calls for an intervention!" about keeping in mind that different perspectives are seen different ways when it comes to history. I just can't shake that this is going to be crucial if we are going to properly understand this type of criticism. Thoughts?