Oui, Je vois le code

Semilogy and Rhetoric, de Man

Literary Criticism--EL312

I think de Man is on to something when he wrote this article. He mentioned a certain code in literature. A code that is "conspicous, complex, and enigmatic"...this means that there is no simple meaning of literature. Literature is not like a historical fact or a math problem, you can not solve all problems in one sitting.

There are certain criticisms that attempt to use this code to there advantage, like good ol' fashion formalism. But understanding that formalism is not exactly bedfellows with poststructualism, formalism is not the best form to go with.

Dr. Jerz said that if you don't get it, then don't worry. I'll think I'll take his word on that.

If you don't get it yet. We've been taking steps all semester, and we're not done yet.

I'm interested to know what you think the code is, Kevin, and how formalism uses it to its advantage (since you didn't name the code).

I'll be presenting on de Man, so if you let me know specifics, I'll see if I can help clear things up :)

Is a code supposed to be decoded? Why mention a code that has no hope of ever being decoded? Just another reason why I would rather read Mother Goose than de Man.