Co-Creators of Chaos

EL 232--Writing of the Internet

Schackner, Freedom of speech redefined by blogs

Student conduct codes and computer use policies are applicable to blogging, experts say, and it's probably not hard to make a compelling case for why posting a video of your roommate having sex is a bad idea.

I remember when this article first hit the Post-Gazette my freshman year. Other than the lovely picture, the article really hit home about how even a small campus like Seton Hill can gain attention on a global front. We should never forget that our blogs are around for the whole world to see. I remember how some random person had a comment for me and my blog. I've also seen rants on blogs that had the capability of getting people into a lot of trouble. Different bloggers, sane or not, are "co-creators" of the internet, which means their sick ideas influence what make up the information online. I know it is a 1st amendment right to say and write whatever, but as I saw in another blog "your right to swing your fist, ends with my nose."

a student blog sounds a little more prestigious than a prvate blog. It suggests intelligence and academia, and that is what the content should reflect. I'd be lying if I said I have not incorporated personal elements into my blogs, but everything I have included in my writing they were always relevant (yes, even the Harry Potter references) to my main point.

I don't believe I have ever seen anything inappropriate on any blog here at Seton Hill. I think that many young people are smart enough to be cautious. But then again, many are foolish too. My myspace has nothing embarassing on it. I cannot say the same for some of my friends.

We are the co-creators of the internet and without our views and opinions, the internet would be dull. I've had comments on my blogs as well disagreeing with my ideas and comments, but I've also had people use what I wrote on my blogs for academic journals/scholarly articles.

So the internet is both good and bad at the same time. It is good in the sense that we are able to express our views and have the rest of the world see it, but then it is bad because there are people out there in the world who are very uptight and take everything written on the internet, including reliable websites, personally.

Like what Daniella said, a student blogs should be seen as a part of academia, professional and intelligent.

Just be cautious in what you say anywhere in this world.