« I Saw The Best Minds | Main

August 28, 2008

Co-Creators of Chaos

EL 232--Writing of the Internet

Schackner, Freedom of speech redefined by blogs

Student conduct codes and computer use policies are applicable to blogging, experts say, and it's probably not hard to make a compelling case for why posting a video of your roommate having sex is a bad idea.

I remember when this article first hit the Post-Gazette my freshman year. Other than the lovely picture, the article really hit home about how even a small campus like Seton Hill can gain attention on a global front. We should never forget that our blogs are around for the whole world to see. I remember how some random person had a comment for me and my blog. I've also seen rants on blogs that had the capability of getting people into a lot of trouble. Different bloggers, sane or not, are "co-creators" of the internet, which means their sick ideas influence what make up the information online. I know it is a 1st amendment right to say and write whatever, but as I saw in another blog "your right to swing your fist, ends with my nose."

Posted by KevinHinton at August 28, 2008 5:45 PM

a student blog sounds a little more prestigious than a prvate blog. It suggests intelligence and academia, and that is what the content should reflect. I'd be lying if I said I have not incorporated personal elements into my blogs, but everything I have included in my writing they were always relevant (yes, even the Harry Potter references) to my main point.

I don't believe I have ever seen anything inappropriate on any blog here at Seton Hill. I think that many young people are smart enough to be cautious. But then again, many are foolish too. My myspace has nothing embarassing on it. I cannot say the same for some of my friends.

Posted by: Daniella Choynowski at August 28, 2008 10:24 PM