Democracy Doesn't Work For All

After listening to Allen Kukovich, I realized something. American voting system is extremely archaic and flawed. He stated that there is "more apathy than anything" and I think I know why. When politicians are elected their flawed humanity get the best of them. From the Federal government to city councils, the stench of corruption leaves no one untouched. And everyone wonders why we can't get anything done.

Sometimes we lose our priorities when we engage into politics. Kukovich of course mentioned the status of the economy, transportation, education, labor, and health (especially in Pennsylvania). However, we deal with other issues like the democracy of others (Iraq), same-sex marriage, stem cells, etc that really we shouldn't be worried about right now. As the comedian Lewis Black said that they "should be on page six under are we eating too much garlic as a people" in the book of things we should be worried about. But those issue are the ones that matter and not the ones the former state senator stated and the people worried about.

The people most likely hate all of these politicians that hide away from the true problems of this country unless they have to. They can't vote them out for several reasons and it all has to do with the voting system:

• Voting is on a Tuesday between 7 am and 8 pm (hard for shift workers to get out of work to vote)
  • There are only two major political parties (in order for your voice to really be heard, you have to register as a Republican or Democrat)
  • Cultural strife are intensified (not just the obvious differences either)
  • Politcal parties basically take over an entire state.
  • ELECTORIAL COLLEGE ELIMINATED IMMEDIATELY

Do you think America would be forced to change the voting policies if we held the systems feet to the fire?

I have mixed feelings about the electoral college. I think it's a flawed way to elect a president, but there's still a good deal of value in it. The greatest fear of the Framers when they were writing the Constitution was the potential for mob rule - after all, pure democracy can sometimes play out to be two wolves and a sheep deciding what to have for dinner. It's not exactly unheard of in the modern era for the majority in a democratic government to go all crazy. I'm never going to be thrilled with the electoral college - my family is from Maryland, and our votes will therefore NEVER count in the presidential election - but if that's the price of a constitutional safeguard on the rights of the minority, then I'm willing to live with it.

Terrific post, I might add.