Why People Hate Newbies

When I see politicians talk about how their opponents are elitist...I think the original Usenet user had one up on them. I have to admit, when I first read the article I was a little confused. So as a started to click on the links and reflect on what those articles meant.

I think that Usenet users thought that they had a Utopia on their hands. A place where they can escape to these forums, talk about the subjects and move on. Dr. Jerz, in a previous class, told us that we (the class of 2009) came in to the SHU blogging scene already having experiences with Myspace and Facebook. I think that the '09 class seemed to waterdown breakthoughs that previous classes has made with blogs. Let me explain that statement.

When I first came to Seton Hill, and jumped headfirst into a blogging course with the blogmaster, my fellow freshman and I began to notice something. Upperclassmen, especially class '07, had actually build relationships on their blogs. Most of them are blogging today after they are long and gone. Personally, I did not have that connection (not at first... it took a while). I thought that it was another chore that we had to get done for our class. In some instances, I've seen some students even gripe online on how much they have to blog.

The class of 2009 and the classes that has succeed it could be considered the "AOLers" in some respects. However, I don't think that we had put to rest all academically sound thought since the SHU blog conception. I could put that same theory to the test for the "AOLers" and the Usenet users. When one introduces something that has been private for a while people tend to enter it is mass numbers. In those mass numbers, it is hard to weed out the psychos from the sane, the intellectuals from the conspiracy theorist.

Maybe some people can't grasp how fast ideas could be spread, become stale, help, or hurt in the online world. I hope that web users could grasp the strength that their presence as they stay online.

Do you think that Usenet was a great example of users changing the internet as we know it?

I think Usenet is a great early example of the trend that many, if not all, internet communication mediums follow. I go into more detail in the comment I left on Chelsea's blog.

But I think it is interesting that many of us are drawing the same ideas from the story of Usenet, like parallels between it and facebook and myspace, and the general effects of mass popularity on internet communication devices.

I agree with you on the relationship aspect of blogging. I was not sure who to comment to or what to blog about. But when we started working with the Castro book, I started to understand that I could help people with my blog and comments by describing my failures and successes. It gave me the idea that the blogs are just an extension of our classroom, which is the last thing that I thought the internet would feel like.

You may not fully appreciate blogs until you have learned from someone's comment or blog.
I agree with you Jed that blogs are an extension of our classroom. Even Facebook and all the other social networks are just an extension of our life.

The effects of mass popularity on internet communication devices, like Jackie said, allows for these devices to grow and stay on the internet. With out the growing amount of accounts, applications, etc. on the social networks or just on normal web pages, the internet would be in shambles.