Mindless Wandering

These chapters really hit home with the title of the book. The more someone thinks about a webpage, the more problems a reader can run into.

I really enjoyed Krug's Second and Third Law of Usability

The Second Law states that "It doesn't matter how many times I have to click, as long as each click is a mindless, unambigous choice."

Exploration of a website isn't exactly a bad thing. As long as users know where they are, confusion won't be a problem. In a world of choices, a designer should think about eliminating those choices. That eliminates the chance for a new user to make the wrong choice. To be truthful, I really don't think about those things much but maybe the designers knew what they were doing.

The Third Law states that we should "Get rid of half the words on each page, then get rid of half of what's left"

As writers, we should learn how to communicate using as little words as possible. Most websites, with exception of news sites, aren't appealing to most people. Since we've been writing HTML, we've been taught less is better. Krug describes what exactly we can cut out. I always feel the need to give an introduction, which is unneccessary in this particular case.

I think all of these facts are essential to perform one goal...to please the user. As long as the user is happy, the website will thrive.