« Who journalists work for, Verification and Indep. from Faction | Main | Weblog Portfolio »

Trib Review: Speech Codes

And thanks to SHU, I can fully declare that speech codes are a bunch of bullshit.

Now, had I said that in the public domain at Penn State, I would have had some serious Hell to pay. Do not get me wrong, I'm not trying to present the view that SHU is the be-all, end-all of schooling, but it is, in my opinion, infinitely better than PSU.

But Speech Codes...

I can't even put into words how much this stuff pisses me off. Granted, it doesn't take much to make me angry, but still. I understand, there is a certain respect one must have for other individuals and groups and so on. That's just human decency, but what these codes are doing is censoring the people and keeping them totally in control.

Consider a teenager; either when you yourself were one, or if you've raised one - wasn't it true that the more you put the screws to them and controled them, the more they would go out of their way to defy you? How is that not true for a society as well?

When I was in grade school, I had a girl who happened to be Jewish in my class. That's fine. Most of the other students were Catholic or Protestant in some form, but we all got along. The Jewish girl, though, would always find a place to complain about what was being taught, even things that were being taught objectively. At Christmas time, all religions would be discussed, not just the Christian holiday, but she would complain that we were being unfair.

It is because of people like her that these speech codes exist. It's the rotten one who ruins it for the other million.

To put it bluntly, the more you try to censor me, the more abbrasive I will become. I'm not one to back down, and I will continue to fight.

I think it's all a bunch of bollocks, and I'm not afraid to say it.

Posted by KevinMcGinnis at September 28, 2005 8:51 AM